By Middle East Affairs
Yemen’s government military continues to wage battle against Iranian funded Houthi militias killing 250 Houthi militants, including 20 top field commanders.
The fighting took place south of the Hodeidah port, which the U.N. uses to bring relief supplies to the millions of starving Yemenis, that have no other source of food or medicine as much of the country’s infrastructure has been plundered.
A Saudi Press Agency reported that 140 Iran backed Houthi militiamen were captured by Yemen’s army, which Saudi Arabia is supporting.
As Yemen’s army has advanced closer to Hodeida over the last week the fighting has intensified. The U.S. and the U.N. have pleaded that all sides involved in the fighting guarantee the safe passage of humanitarian aid to Yemeni who desperately need it to survive.
On Friday, the U.N. said that a military attack on the Red Sea port of Hodeida could claim the lives of many of the 600,000 civilians that live near the port city.
Martin Griffiths, the U.N. envoy for Yemen “is shuttling between Sana’a and also the UAE and Saudi Arabia to hope that there will be a way to avoid the military confrontation in Hodeidah,” said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
The civil war between Iran backed Houthi began in March 2015 against the government of exiled President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi.
During the three years of war, more than 10,000 Yemenis have been killed, and another three million have become displaced. More than 22.2 million people need assistance making it the world’s worst humanitarian disaster, said the U.N., drawing comparisons to Darfur, where millions of civilians suffered as fighting encircled them and they had no place to escape too, trapped inside a war-torn country with no food or medicine. Yemenis are starving by the millions, and diseases such as Malnutrition and cholera have killed thousands over the last three years.