Syria Kurds fighters start pullback from Turkish border to implement ‘safe zone’

by

Qamishli-The Kurdish authorities in northeast Syrian said Tuesday their forces had started to withdraw from outposts along the Turkish border after a US-Turkish deal for a buffer zone there.

They said work had begun Saturday on “the first practical steps — in the Ras al-Ain area — in removing some earth mounds and withdrawing a group of (Kurdish) People’s Protection Units and heavy weapons.”

The so-called “safe zone” agreed by Washington and Ankara earlier this month aims to create a buffer between the Turkish border and Syrian areas controlled by the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), a group Ankara sees as “terrorists.”

AFP

You may also like

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: