There will be no gender division at Saudi Arabia’s new Six Flags theme park in Qiddiya when it opens in 2023, according to a senior official connected to the project.
Mike Reininger, CEO of Qiddiya Investment Company (QIC), the wholly-owned subsidiary of Saudi Arabia’s HRH Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman-led Public Investment Fund (PIF), said the theme park would appeal to a “broad spectrum” of audiences.
Speaking to Construction Week at the launch of the project earlier this week, Reininger said that the firm was adapting to the changing marketplace in Saudi Arabia and would welcome all genders, ages, and nationalities to the park.
He said: “The nature of the marketplace is adapting and changing very rapidly. The product offering that we will have at Qiddiya is going to be a direct reflection of the state of play in the marketplace.
“This is evident today [at the Six Flags theme park reveal] as there was a mixed-gender audience and we are building an inclusive place that’s respectful of the customs of the place [Saudi Arabia] and norms.”
Qiddiya, Saudi Arabia’s entertainment city, will include 12 record-breaking attractions when it opens to the public in 2023, including the world’s longest, tallest and fastest roller coaster and the world’s tallest drop-tower ride.
Six Flags Qiddiya will cover 32 hectares and include 28 rides and attractions across six themed lands including The City of Thrills, Discovery Springs, Steam Town, Twilight Gardens, Valley of Fortune and Grand Exposition.
The project broke ground on April 28 last year and the first of three phases is due to open in 2023.
QIC revealed that the local Saudi Arabian contractors would soon commence work on the Six Flags theme park within its 334 sq km Qiddiya entertainment city gigaproject, which is located 40km outside Riyadh.