President Trump confirms no Americans harmed in Iranian missile attack in Iraq

by

US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that no American or Iraqis were killed when Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military and coalition forces in Iraq on Wednesday morning.

“No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime. All of our soldiers are safe and only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases,” said Trump, adding that the US forces are “prepared for anything.”

Trump said Iran appears to be standing down following the attack that came after pro-Tehran factions in Iraq vowed to join forces to “respond” to the to an American drone strike that killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi top commander Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes in Baghdad last week.

 

Killing of Qassem Soleimani

Trump addressed the killing of Soleimani saying it was under his direction that the US military “eliminated the world’s top terrrorist,” and said that Soleimani was planning new attacks on American targets before his death.

Trump said Soleimani “orchestrated” the recent attacks on US personnel in Iraq that killed a US civilian contractor.

“Soleimani’s hands were drenched in both American and Iranian blood,” Trump said, adding that Soleimani should have been eliminated long ago.

 

New sanctions

Trump announced new additional economic sanctions on Iran that will be imposed immediately.

“These powerful sanctions will remain until Iran changes its behavior,” said Trump, citing the seizing of ships in the Arabian Gulf and the attacks on Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities.

Trump also said that the Iranian regime killed over 1,500 people in the recent protests across the country.

 

 

Al Arabiya English

You may also like

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: