A car bomb attack in northwestern Syria’s Azaz region killed five people and wounded 85 others, Turkey’s state-owned Anadolu agency said on Sunday.
The incident took place in the village of Siccu, across the border from Turkey’s southern province of Kilis, Anadolu said.
It said 15 of the wounded had been brought to a hospital in Turkey and that some were in critical condition.
Azaz has been under the control of rebels backed by Turkey since Ankara’s first incursion into Syria in 2016, in an operation that aimed to drive away ISIS militants and the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia from its border with Syria.
Ankara regards the US-backed YPG as a terrorist organization. The operation ended in 2017.
In another development, Syria held a parliamentary election on Sunday, gripped by a collapsing economy and new US sanctions after President Bashar al-Assad clawed back control of most of the country.
People voted across government territory at more than 7,000 polling stations, including for the first time in former opposition bastions that the army has recaptured over the last two years.
Assad’s opponents denounced the vote as a farce, nearly a decade into a war that has killed hundreds of thousands of people and made millions refugees.