Novak Djokovic still has questions to answer, says Andy Murray

by

Andy Murray says it is “positive” that Novak Djokovic has been released from detention in Australia but the Serb still has “a few questions” to answer.

World number one Djokovic, 34, won a court battle that overturned his visa cancellation on Monday, a week before the Australian Open is set to start.

But Australian border officials are investigating whether his travel entry form included a false declaration.

“It’s positive that he’s not in detention any more,” said Murray.

“There are still a few questions that need to be answered around the isolation, which I’m sure we’ll hear from him in the next few days.”

Djokovic’s travel declaration form, which all visitors have to complete three to seven days before arrival, stated he did not travel in the 14 days before his flight to Australia.

However, social media posts appear to show him in both Serbian capital Belgrade and Spain during that period.

Australia’s immigration minister still has powers to re-cancel the visa and deport the unvaccinated player.

“He won in court, which is good,” added Murray, who said the situation was “really not good for tennis at all” last week.

“It looks like he’s going to be able to play and compete in the Australian Open – we do want the best players there, but there are still a few questions to be answered.

“Until that happens, it is tough to give a definitive opinion on everything.”

Murray, 34, said the drama around Djokovic was “frustrating” as he would rather “talk about my tennis”.

The former world number one was speaking after he beat Norway’s Viktor Durasovic 6-3 6-1 in round one of the Sydney Tennis Classic.

Britain’s Murray will face Georgian second seed Nikoloz Basilashvili in the second round.

Three-time Grand Slam champion Murray has accepted a wildcard for the Australian Open in what will be his first appearance there since his emotional first-round exit in 2019.

Murray said he could be forced to retire through injury then, but made a comeback after having surgery on his hip for the second time.

“It is really nice to get my range and hopefully I can carry that through [to the Australian Open],” said Murray, who lost in the first round of the Melbourne Summer Series.

“I believe I can have a good run there and who knows, if I can find a bit of form and the draw opens up?”

Raducanu overpowered in first-round exit

Emma Raducanu waves as she walks off court following her defeat in the first round of the Sydney Tennis Classic
Emma Raducanu will find out her Australian Open first-round opponent in Thursday’s draw

Emma Raducanu was heavily beaten in the first round of the Sydney Tennis Classic by world number 13 Elena Rybakina.

US Open champion Raducanu lost 6-0 6-1 to Kazakhstan’s Rybakina in just 55 minutes.

Raducanu, 19, struggled with her serve throughout, conceding four double faults in losing the first set.

She was 3-0 down in the second before winning her sole game of the match.

Raducanu did manage to save two match points, before Rybakina wrapped up victory to set up a last-16 tie against France’s Caroline Garcia.

British number one Raducanu, who became the first singles qualifier to win a Grand Slam at the US Open last year, will be seeded 17th for the Australian Open.

Her preparation has been hampered as she pulled out of the first WTA tournament of the season in Melbourne last week, having recently come out of isolation after contracting Covid-19.

Swan & Broady through to qualifying second round

Katie Swan plays a backhand in Australian Open qualifying
Katie Swan has not reached the Australian Open main draw before

Britain’s Katie Swan and Liam Broady both reached the second round of Australian Open qualifying.

Swan, 22, beat Australia’s Abbie Myers 6-2 6-4 to set up a tie against Bulgaria’s Viktoriya Tomova in Melbourne.

Broady fought back from a set down to beat Poland’s Kacper Zuk 4-6 6-1 6-2.

The 28-year-old, who has never reached the main draw of the Australian Open, will face American JJ Wolf in the second round.

However, Katie Boulter, Jodie Burrage and Francesca Jones are all out.

Boulter was beaten 6-3 6-4 by American Emina Bektas, while Burrage lost 5-7 6-1 6-4 to Australia’s Seone Mendez.

Jones retired while trailing 5-1 in the first set against American Usue Maitane Arconada.

On Monday, Harriet Dart beat Italy’s Federica di Sarra 6-4 6-3 to reach the second round, where she will play American Alycia Parks.

Samantha Murray Sharan was beaten 6-1 6-7 (2-7) 7-6 (10-8) by American Hailey Baptiste.

BBC

You may also like

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: